Monday, June 25, 2012

So now we're dancing through the garden, and what a garden I have made.

Yesterday one of the most important people in my life graduated from high school! Elaine is like my little sister and I love her so so so much! I couldn't stop hugging her yesterday. I'm just so proud of her and really excited for all the new things that she'll experience in college and beyond. She's so great. Here's a picture of the beautiful graduate and myself:



I feel like I just graduated high school...but I didn't. That was three years ago. I'm graduating college in a year. One year. Then real life. Yesterday at Elaine's graduation party I was talking to someone about how college is a bubble. That's really the best way to describe it, especially when you go away to school. It's four years to focus on yourself, your future, and what you want out of life. I know not everyone is lucky enough to experience this, but I'm so grateful that I've been able to.

I wrote the paper for my Philosophy class today. One of my favorite quotes that I included was by Dr. Gil Tippy, the clinical director at Rebecca School, from his book Respecting Autism.
 “I want to be on the side of the debate that respects children. That treats children in the way that loving parents have treated children since man first walked upright...I want to be on the side of the debate that believes that thinking is the work. I do not want to be on the side of this debate that plans to ignore children, that disrespects their basic humanity”

I didn't include the entire quote, but I was really excited to relate some of Dr. Greenspan's work to my paper. I mostly discussed how public schools in America are failing to recognize the individual learner and person. I think the DIR model is a really good foundation for that debate, even though it's designed for children with developmental disabilities. Across the board, kids are unique individuals and should be treated that way!

Check out more about the DIR model here: http://www.icdl.com/dirFloortime/overview/index.shtml

I'm off to Quito in four days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment