Monday, July 9, 2012

Music day.

Today was great because kids are great. Before I left for Quito, I bought a few instruments to bring for the kids. I wasn't sure whether or not to even bring them in when I met all thirty of los niños. I decided to bring them today and it ended up being a great idea. Music is so motivating! Of course, after completing 3/4 of a bachelor degree in music therapy, this is not the first time I've stumbled upon this phenomenon. It was just cool to experience it here because, as corny as it sounds, music really does have the power to transcend language barriers.

Music is motivating because it is inviting and rewarding. Today, a little boy who I haven't heard speak for the past week and a half, sang some of the words to "La Araña Pequenita" or "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." When I took out a tambourine, a group of kids sat around me and took turns hitting it while we sang a song about un barquito that my Grandma and cousin Olivia taught me. Now, this may not seem like a big deal, but it was the first time that the kids actually shared something without fighting since I've been here. (Of course, they required quite a few "Si quieres tocar, tienes que sentarse!") It was a big deal!!! Music is motivating. I rest my case.

Tomorrow is our last day of work. I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the kids. They're so young that they will likely forget us soon, but we'll never forget them. I hope that some part of their lives have been affected by our presence here. I feel like we've been here forever, but what's two weeks in the life of a kid? It's so strange to just walk away. Today I was listening to music with a little boy named Lenny who (shhh don't tell) is easily my favorite. Him and I have had a lot of fun times the past two weeks. Anyway, we were playing some American pop music and the song "Gonna Get Over You" by Sara Bareilles came on. He was sitting on my lap and we were singing to each other, him pretending to know the words in a language he doesn't speak, while I was singing the line "Ohhhh how am I gonna get over you?" I don't know how I'll get over Lenny or Michael, Mateo, Cristofer, Janita, Daniella, Martin, Alejandro, or Taira, but maybe I don't have to. Maybe I can always keep them with me, wishing them well wherever they are, with whatever they do, and whoever they grow up to be.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Can't type through my tears...where the heck is the "like" no I mean "love" button?!!!xoxo Aunt Aidi

    ReplyDelete