Monday, January 2, 2012

Where do I start?

Well, I guess I'll begin with today, January 2nd, 2012. Today I traveled from Philadelphia, where I go to school at Temple University, to Long Island, where I've lived for all twenty years and nine months of my life. My roommate Emily drove, while I tightly gripped the sides of my seat. Sometimes she forgets to brake, and sometimes I overreact.
 
I guess I overreact a lot of times. I've always kind of felt like overreacting is better than under reacting, you know? If a friend has had too much to drink and is as white as a ghost, I won't be the one saying, "Let's just ride it out. I'm sure he'll be fine." I start braking when the person four cars in front of me starts braking. I put protective cases on my cell phones and I always floss. (Maybe I'm also a little bit "over preventive").

When it comes to people, I always react. I can usually view that as a strength, but in the last few months I think it may have been a weakness for me. I am not passive. Sometimes I wish I was. I can't overlook injustices, no matter who they affect. I like that about myself. But I hate that I have so much trouble forgiving. I hold grudges, even when I talk myself out of them. They stay with me. I'm hoping that I can change this in the new year.

I don't think this blog will be about forgiveness or overreacting. Quite honestly, I think it will be about me. I think it will be the most genuine account of my human experience that I am capable of sharing. I think it will be a way for me to discover more about myself so that I can better understand the life story of every person I encounter. I think it will be a place for me to share a pretty picture or a biased movie review. I think I'll talk about music and love and technology and friendship and books and boys. That is, if this blog even makes it to February.

Happy, Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment