Monday, August 20, 2012

This is the first day of my life.

Sometimes we build things up in our heads, and when whatever we've been waiting for finally comes around, it's not nearly as exciting as we remember it being. Well, that's not at all how camp was this week. Every year I wait twelve months for the best week of my year and it never disappoints.

The only disappointing part of this week was ending up in the hospital and having to leave camp early. That's irrelevant to this post, though. (Don't worry, I'm fine!)

Camp always opens my eyes to the beauty that I often shut out. It revives my awareness of the little things in life. It confirms my passion for caring for people, and it erases my inadequacies about doing so.

It was a great week at Esopus. I wish every day of my life could be a camp day, but I guess that's what makes it so special. It has to be savored. But at the same time, why can't every day of my life be a camp day? I guess I have that kind of power. We all do.

My mind is racing with thoughts of this summer. From the moment my plane took off for Quito, Ecuador, two months ago, this summer has completely flown by. I tried my best to process and organize and document all that this summer has given to me, but to be honest, it felt like a whirlwind. A very exciting whirlwind.

So now I'm off to Philly this week, ready to take on a new adventure. I can't believe my senior year of college is creeping up on me already. It's right around the corner, ready to be taken advantage of completely. I know that with a little help from my friends, that task will be done and done well.

A big thank you to everyone who made this summer all that it was. I could've done all the same things by myself, but it never would have been as special without the wonderful people in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment