Friday, August 10, 2012

Esopus.

Let me tell you about a magical place. A place that goes unmatched in my book.

Sometimes it feels like a bubble, but I think it's okay to live in a bubble every once in a while.

This place is green and warm, except for the chilly nights. The sun always shines, even on the rainy days when there's nothing to do except play games and watch movies. Gym games and High School Musical and we're soaring, flying. There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach.

All are welcome. All are welcome to laugh and play or scream and cry. All are welcome to be exactly who they are, free of judgment. Free to fly.

It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from. All that matters is if you like walks down to the river and golf cart rides. And if you don't, well that's okay too. We can just sit in the big wooden chairs and sing Beatles' songs all day long.

We can take a nap in the room with the walls made of rock.

We can sing and dance but if it all gets to be too much, we can go to a quiet place to sit and talk. We can talk about your family and your school and what scares you and makes you smile that beautiful smile. You'll make me laugh. You always do.

Tea parties in the kitchen. One black tea with honey and one peppermint tea, or coffee with milk on the tired days. A peanut butter cup for each of us. And one for your friend, who only you can see.

Roasting marshmallows around a fire and singing songs, always dedicated to that special someone.

Kiss the girl. Let it be. Sometimes your courage brings tears to my eyes.

A midnight swim for the one we lost. Remembering our friend and holding onto one another for support. His bravery, his love, his wrist filled with all the girls' hair ties. I can see you in the summertime. (I wish that I could see you one more time.)

You say more to me with your eyes than anyone has ever said to me with words. And you offer your favorite thing in the world to me and we play without all the unnecessary sounds. Just shared looks, as your plastic chain swings between us.

I'll sing "The Way You Look Tonight" to you all night if you'll just close your eyes. I can't sing that song without you coming to mind, and literally, the way you looked that night, when we danced in the gym and you couldn't stop smiling.

Your love is free and it flows through the air, over the acres of land in upstate New York.

Your love has no limits and it carries me through my year, as the months slip farther and farther from August, and then closer and closer until we're back.

And then we're laughing and singing on the bus and we're all headed to our favorite place on Earth and nothing is as beautiful as this moment.

Nothing is as beautiful to me as the time I've spent at camp, in Esopus, with the special people I have met there. The people that make "disability" a meaningless word, because their abilities are so profound. They love with every fiber of their being, and I am so blessed to be the recipient of that kind of unconditional love. This world is a nicer place because of them.



1 comment:

  1. Angels among us. Placed, to put us in our place. Lucky you. Lucky me. Have a blast. xoxoxo Aunt Aidi

    ReplyDelete